Monday, January 21, 2008

A bit of this, a bit of that

Excuse me while I ramble a bit.

I'm so ready for Spring to arrive but those of us who live in the Midwest know how unpredictable the weather can be. I know it's not so but it just seems like the up and down up the temperatures we had makes it so much easier to catch stuff. Like colds and the flu and shit. Not me thankfully. This past week has been hell at our home. First the husband quickly comes down with what I thought was the pneumonia within 2 days time. Symptoms - coughing, sneezing, head congestion, body aches and chills, and fevers up to 103.4 Between the drainage and coughing, he almost lost his voice. Now, a week and a half later, he almost has his voice back and he's back to smoking like a chimney. Grrr! G came down with a cold within days of D. She didn't run high fevers like D but she had a definite full week of miserable head congestion. She's finally on the mend too. Let me tell you - my sympathy bone was shot to death years before she came along by D due to him acting like the world was coming whenever he got a minor sniffle. Now when they truly get sick, it is very hard for me to muck up much sympathy. I'm good for about a day then I'm like - Come on! Get over it already! Sad, I know.

G is attempting to break out of her self-imposed hermit stage. This past weekend she got a spur of the moment invite to go over to a friends for a few hours. I talk to said friend's mother, make the arrangements, and when I get off the phone she bursts into tears. I was supposed to read her mind and say No. She wanted to go to said friend house but then she didn't. I put my foot down and told her she was going to go, no ifs ands or buts about it. It was time to start acting like a kid again. Of course, when D & I picked her up she didn't want to leave. Typical. This Saturday will be a big test for her. A cousin/best friend invited her over 2 weeks ago to come and spend the night and then go to a wildlife presentation with her. The other night when we were reading before bedtime, she started acting strange and when I asked her what was wrong she admitted she was starting to worry about this weekend. I calmly and gently told her that she needed to stop working herself up and fretting over on the what ifs (headache, etc.) and that she needed to push herself to do the things she once did. After talking with K a couple times since then, she's actually looking forward to it.

G is also getting excited for the upcoming DARE dance that our local public and private schools are having for the DARE graduates on February 1st. I volunteered to be a Chaperone. There is no way in hell I let her go otherwise. Luckily, she isn't at that age where she's embarrassed to be seen with me so that eliminates that worry. The big thing this year in her class is for the girls and boys to be boyfriend/girlfriend. I personally think 10,11 year-olds are too young for that shit but you know it's not like they are going on actual dates, talking on the phone etc. From the sounds of it, a girl will get asked to go "out" with a boy in the morning and by the afternoon, he dumps her. It's ridiculous really but oh well. Thankfully G realized that she will have much more fun going to the DARE dance without a boyfriend and just with her little girlfriends. I'll be sure to take pictures of G's first dance.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear that she is starting to come out of her shell a bit. The more stuff she does and enjoys it the more she will want to do. Just wait, pretty soon, you won't be able to keep her at home! :)

Unknown said...

Aw. The school dance, yes she will have such a good time with her girlfriends. I think she's a little young yet to go with a boy - but that's just me :) That's what highschool is for.

I'm glad she isn't embarassed to been seen with you. I remember when I was so embarassed of my mom that I wouldn't even walk with her at the mall. I dread those days - karma!

Hope the fam is feeling better. It's been a doozy year for getting sick in general.